20 Tips For Beginners Coding Learners

C

codeguru

Freecoin
Few things I want to share for beginners or any learner. I'm still learning at the moment React-Redux-TypeScript.

1) I've made few mistakes the biggest that I don't have many projects to show. So I've not done enough practice on my own. Do practice even the small things until you know without much help.

2) I avoided official documentations at the beginning because I didn't understand them and they are too "official". If you learn from anything or do a code along open up that official documentation. You will learn not just how to use them but reading code and it's always better to go back to an official website to look up things.

3) Find what works for you. I've tried several methods to learn JavaScript for example. Few courses I like, others not so much. Even the teacher's voice and teaching style matters. I'm a visual type so reading is better for me than watching. And if I look up things I try to use many sources. Some I understand better than the others.

4) Don't expect to be easy and fast without prior knowledge. It is just not realistic. You see people learn to code in 4 months. Possible? Probably. But they are the exceptions.

5) Don't try to master things before moving on. You don't need to be good at HTML or CSS before starting JavaScript. Or be the JS master before React. Basically everything is used all the time during learning.

6) Don't try to find logic behind everything. It will just slow your learning down. Just learn the syntax. Learn how to use them and move on. Once you are better you can peek behind the scenes. You don't try to understand every mechanics before starting to drive?

7) Don't try to memorize everything. Even people with decades of experience need to look up things. Just simply too much to know.

8) Try to spend at least 2-3 hours coding. I know it's hard especially if you have a full time job and family but the more you do the easier it get. And the easier it gets the more you enjoy. Also you make it a habit and you will look forward to it.

9) Try to take notes. I didn't believe in this for a long time but if you can write down what you are learning in a simple way you already have some understanding.

10) Try to learn functions, objects especially. How to read properties and pass parameters are essential. Probably one of the hardest part is how the data flows.

11) Take it slow. If you can't wrap your head around something. Slow down, do some examples, practices. Check what is doing what and how.

12) Try to do some structured learning. Either by doing a course with a structure already or plan ahead what you need to learn for a specific outcome.
"A Fool with a Plan is better off than a Genius without a Plan! - T. Boone Pickens"

13) So as planning a project is crucial and necessary. Pen and paper. Or some flowchart works also.

14) Try to get in some coding community. (like this) You get help, you give help. You teach, you learn and you see CODE daily.

15) Don't avoid looking up solutions. It is not cheating. Spend a good amount of time to think and try to make it work but just don't waste too much time if you can't get it.

16) You don't need to be smart or a mathematician to learn these things. For sure they help but if you are consistent then eventually you learn what you need.

17) Stop comparing yourself. This really kills the fun. "But others could easily do this", "They could easily understand". There are just too many factor if someone could do something. Just take care of yourself and your business.

18) Also don't expect to be fun. I see everywhere people saying that how much they love coding and it's so much fun. As said before the are the exceptions. Yes it can be fun especially when it gets easier. Some people have crazy focus and ideas which the want to make a reality. Just stop even reading these things because there are trolls out there also.

19) In general stop avoid videos, comments or anything which says negative things about things you try to do. Do your own research. Don't let others discourage you. I've seen everywhere that JavaScript is dying, being a programmer is dead because of AI. Can't get a job, etc.

20) Just do your CODING. Don't stop, don't quit. You are only a loser if you quit. Some people learn it in 4 months others in years. Life happens. Just be consistent. Do it on your bad days also. It's not about your mood or motivation. It's about doing or not doing.

I think that's all the TLDR for now. Obviously it's not a complete list, it's also from my perspective. But if I could help anyone with this list I'm happy.

Happy Coding!

Richest Freecoded User

Most Freecoin

freecoded
freecoded
2,441 Freecoin
Davy200
Davy200
590 Freecoin
nathan69
nathan69
424 Freecoin